Information for Swimmers & Parents of Regional Age Group

Please check at least every other day for updates.

Kevin Schofield (Kevin.Schofield@leeds.gov.uk)

Oli Nevitt (Oliver.Nevitt@leeds.gov.uk)

Monday 7 June 2010

Some Wise Words from Our Lead Coach....

Back to basics...
You may have all noticed last weeks training volume decreased and was a lot easier.  This was so you could spend a whole week reminding yourselves of the basic technique we need on all 4 strokes to be a better swimmers.  Some of you may ask why me and Ryan have done this? And how are you going to be faster swimmers if you don't swim fast all the time in training?

There is nothing wrong with us spending a whole week on short distances working on getting everything right with our strokes, as when we transfer our perfect technique's into our swimming it should prove to be very beneficial in the long term making you faster swimmers in the years to come.  This is the time to get stroke techniques right, when you are young.  Changing stroke techniques to be good after years of swimming bad technique can be almost impossible this is because you will have trained your body to perform bad movements over many years.

Me and Ryan are very impressed with the way last weeks training went as everyone looked technically good in the water and everyone improved on something.  Alex was impressed and commented on how he may need to borrow swimmers from our group to show his group how to swim.  As we start to increase the intensity and volume of training again it is important that all the little practices you did last week (most of you could list at least 10 points to think about on each stroke) get put into your full strokes when swimming faster.  e.g. caterpillar on fly, triangle on breaststroke ect........

Attendance
Well done to Abigail Jack who managed 100% attendance for May, this is an amazing achievement and shows great commitment. Well done Abigail. 

A few things......
People have told me great things about the swimming from our group at the Hull gala with some swimmers achieving PB's by over 15 seconds, this is ACE!!!!.  I am looking forward to watching you all at Harrogate in a few weeks.  I will be updating the times this week, but please be patient as I am at John Charles teaching for most of the week. 

One thing I have noticed is the distance you are all hitting before you come up off the wall out of the turns is increasing, this shows all the underwater work we have done is starting to pay off. 

I thought I would also pass the message on to you from Head Coach Dave Calleja.  He has said how impressed he is with the amount of swimmers that are turning up to morning training and the high level of team spirit in the group at the moment.  Keep it up guys!!

C Central target for this month:
TRANSFER SKILLS AND TECHNIQUE INTO LONGER DISTANCES AND MAINTAIN WHEN SWIMMING FASTER!

Something for you to think about. 
'As the years go by I train physically harder and I am always trying to go faster, further and higher. I train seven days a week and at the end of the day, I'm pretty tired but I never wish I was anyone else. If I miss a days training I feel guilty and know I should have done it. I'm conscientious and unless I have a very good reason to, I never miss a session. It seems unfair to train for years and miss days just for the hell of it, and if I ever started to skip days, I would realise my attitude was not right and it was time for me to finish. - Olympic Champion

Kevin.

P.S, can all the parents read the previous post about phone numbers and respond accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment